[OpenIndiana-discuss] Zfs stability "Scrubs"

heinrich.vanriel at gmail.com heinrich.vanriel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:00:50 UTC 2012

Most of my storage background is with EMC CX and VNX  and that is used in a vast amount of datacenters.
They run a process called sniiffer that runs in the background and request a read of all blocks on each disk individually for a specific LUN, if there is an unrecoverable read error a Background Verify (BV) is requested by the process to check for data consistency. The unit will also conduct a proactive copy to a hotspare, I believe once data has been verified, from the disk where the error(s) were seen.

A BV is also requested when there is a LUN failover, enclosure path failure or a storage processor failure.

My point is most high end storage units has some form of data verification process that is active all the time.

In my opinion scrubs should be considered depending on the importance of data and the frequency based on what type of raidz, change rates and disk type used.

Perhaps in future ZFS will have the ability to limit resource allocation when scrubbing like with BV where it can be set. Rebuild priory can also be set.

Also some high end controllers have "port" verify for each disk (media read) when using their integrated raid that runs periodically. Since in the world of ZFS it is recommended to use JBOD I see it as more than just the filesystem. I have never deployed a system containing mission critical data using filesystem raid protection other than with ZFS since there is no protection in them an I would much rather bank on the controller.

my few cents on scrubs.

Thanks