[OpenIndiana-discuss] Namespace management and symlinks in /usr

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Oct 17 15:11:57 UTC 2012

On 17/10/2012 16:50, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> In chasing the Firefox/Java issue, I happened to look at the symlinks in /usr.  I'm rather disturbed by what I find.
>
> There are 15715 in my installation of oi_151a.
> Yes, it is painful to force people to fix their scripts, but in the end, indulging bad behavior just makes the problem worse.
 > Having written scripts that ran cleanly across Ultrix, SunOS, AIX, HPUX, Irix
and more I know it's not hard to do things w/o
 > resorting to polluting the system namespace w/ bandaids.

This is for people running heterogenous systems, like old Osol
combined with new OI, or for people upgrading from Osol to OI
for not having trouble with scripts after upgrade, and problems
with configure setups for software (on solaris you usually have
to patch configure scripts, and it's a pain to redo this on
every upgrade). So having these symlinks is a good thing, and
when these old systems gradually die away, people will adapt
their scripts, but at least up to the next stable release of
OI these links should be kept. As there's usually not much left in
these legacy directories, they will quickly become a simple
symlink to the default places.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www-imk.fzk.de/asf/sat/grabowski/ www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php