[OpenIndiana-discuss] Namespace management and symlinks in /usr

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Oct 17 21:58:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Reginald Beardsley wrote:

> We have similar silliness w/ /usr/X11 being a tree of links pointing
> to /usr.  Again, setting the default PATH properly in the system
> files is much cleaner.

Many paths are already burned into software on existing CD/DVDs or
used as default search locations by existing software.  The /usr/X11
path is a common convention established long ago and is not Solaris
specific.

The problem is not really the symbolic links.  The problem is if there
is a clear plan for how things will finally be in the future.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn