[OpenIndiana-discuss] Only one SSD detected on expander

James C. McPherson james.c.mcpherson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 12:11:10 UTC 2012

On 19/10/12 09:29 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 19/10/2012 11:48, Robin Axelsson wrote:
>> Isn't it possible to somehow make the drive dump the firmware somehow, edit it
>> with a HEX editor (and recalculate firmware checksums) and flash the modified
>> .bin file back to the drive? I guess that the WWN must be found in the firmware
>> somewhere.
>>

> Usually, you can read and write drive firmware with fwflash.

You should be able to write new firmware, sure - my colleagues
did add support for flashing sd(7d) to fwflash. I would be very,
very wary of doing so, however, unless you have documentation
from your disk manufacturer which (1) gives you the structure and
instructions definitions, and (2) lets you verify that you have
a valid image.

Reading firmware from the disk is not supported with fwflash.
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/fwflash/plugins/transport/common/sd.c#125

James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer, system admin and troubleshooter
               http://www.jmcpdotcom.com/blog