[OpenIndiana-discuss] Slow ssh login?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Sat Oct 20 01:48:52 UTC 2012

Truly funny.  So I start banging on this problem with truss.  I notice that
at some point sshd forks off a shell to run 'locale -a'.  I notice that is
taking several seconds longer on the slow sshd host than the other one.  So
I try this:

 time locale -a > /dev/null

It takes a fraction of a second on host A and several seconds on host B.  I
mutter a few choice expletives and start wondering if there is some kind of
performance b0rkage on host B.  I start groveling through zfs properties for
rpool on each host.  Ready for the punchline?  I was only able to upgrade
the RAM assigned to the OI VM on the main hypervisor a few weeks ago, and
until then, RAM (and therefore ARC) was tight, so (drumroll) I had set
primary and secondary cache to 'off' on rpool.  I set both properties back
to 'all' and run the locale test again.  No change (and no surprise).  Run
it again (and the locale files should now be in ARC), and... Runs like
greased lightning.  Fire up an ssh session to host B.  No more slow logins.
Boy, that was fun :)