[OpenIndiana-discuss] Same networking with varied NICs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Oct 20 15:28:16 UTC 2012

2012-10-20 19:05, Michael Stapleton wrote:
> Maybe you could have your zones and the global zone on an etherstub
> through VNICs,
> Then route from the global zones real NIC to the VNIC connected to the
> etherstub. Can you use NAT? IP addresses might be the next challenge.
> Solaris11 also support DHCP with zones, Any one know if that might get
> ported to OI?

Yeah, DHCP with zones works, as well as exclusive networking
with routers and firewalls in zones.

The challenge in this setup would be to bring the routing to
life. There are setups where the GZ has no public IP address
and a local zone has a dedicated public interface and works
as a router/firewall/NAT for the whole system (GZ and other
LZs) kind of like what you outlined. I wonder if that can
work with the multiple interfaces, one of which is present
at a time ("raw", ipmp or aggr to start with). If my other
options don't pan out, I research this more - thanks for
the idea ;)

I did however want to bind at least my bridged VMs to VNICs
on the physical public interface, so they can be addressed
from the external net with that net's addresses. I am not
sure this would work well over NAT (i.e. serving CIFS from
several VMs on one public IP address is tricky), and I did
start my questions (unanswered) discussing the possibility
of just attaching an etherstub to external net like a switch,
bridging over the available one of the physical interfaces.

//Jim