[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tribblix prerelease

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:58:42 UTC 2012

For a while now I've been working on a new distribution based
on OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana/Illumos.

The aim is to produce something that's traditionally styled but has
much more up to date components than Solaris 10 (or the current
derivatives, come to that). Packaging is SVR4 (underneath, anyway);
the primary desktop will be Xfce.

I've now got to the point where I can produce an ISO that will boot
to a login prompt, and that can install a functional (and easily
customized) system to a hard drive. At the moment that's all it does -
it's absolutely by no means complete or finished, but it's a foundation
I can build on. If you're happy with twm or wmaker, it's almost usable.

For reasons that aren't entirely due to vanity it's called Tribblix. (Anyone
else remember that name from a Go Game at one of the OpenSolaris
summits?) And the website with some details and an ISO for download
is here:

http://www.tribblix.org/

I'm running this successfully under VirtualBox and on a desktop PC from
4 years ago, both in 64-bit mode. 32-bit is untested.

This is just a proof of concept; a demonstration to prove that it can be
done. I'll be fleshing it out with more and newer packages, and generally
fixing the problems I've uncovered. I'll also release all the scripts used to
build it - once I've removed all the temporary hacks I'm too embarrassed
to show in public.

--
-Peter Tribble