[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS; what the manuals don't say ...

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Tue Oct 23 15:53:14 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-23 17:32, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 23/10/2012 17:18, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>>> Wouldn't walking the filesystem, making a copy, deleting the original
>>> and renaming the copy balance things?
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>>
>>> LIST=`find /foo -type d`
>>>
>>> for I in ${LIST}
>>> do
>>>
>>> cp ${I} ${I}.tmp
>>> rm ${I}
>>> mv ${I}.tmp ${I}
>>>
>>> done
>>
>> or perhaps
> And hardlinks ? This is a perfect way to completely trash your
> system. There's no need to 'balance' zfs, over time filesystem
> writes will balance roughly over the vdevs, only files never
> touched again will stay where they are. So don't risk your
> system just to get a few bytes/sec more out of it.

That sounds like a good point, unless you first scan for hard links and
avoid touching the files and their hard links in the shell script, I guess.

But I heard that a pool that is almost full have some performance
issues, especially when you try to delete files from that pool. But
maybe this becomes a non-issue once the pool is expanded by another vdev.