[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI and console switching

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Oct 27 23:21:37 UTC 2012

2012-10-27 21:54, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 10/27/12 07:12 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> 2012-10-27 16:36, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
>>> I also had some problems in a5 (a2 was ok), which disappeared
>>> again in a7.

Alas, update to oi_151a7 did not fix any of my problems - the
virtual terminals don't work, the switch from X11 into text
mode hangs (unless I stop the gdm SMF service - and this does
properly release the console, I guess), and the X user-switching
into a session of an already logged-in user (switch into some
other user works for the first time; switch back dies in text
mode).

 >>> But I have a slightly different setting on vt7:
>>> /etc/gdm.conf (I think that's only a question of taste, but
>>> who knows...):
>>> [security]
>>> CheckDirOwner=false
>>
>> The file /etc/gdm.conf (nor /etc/gdm/gdm.conf) did not exist at
>> all, I tried creating it now.
>
> Uh, sorry, new name, it is /etc/gdm/custom.conf now !

Yep, ok.

>> Directory /var/run/gdm is also absent (though X11 session is up);
>> how do you ensure it exists, given that /var/run is tmpfs? Do you
>> create it manually (via startup scripts/SMF), or some GDM setting
>> provides it? Can it influence the console problems and/or X user
>> switching?
>
> SMF, in /lib/svc/method/svc-gdm, add :
>
> mkdir /var/run/gdm 1>/dev/null 2>&1;chown gdm:gdm /var/run/gdm
>
> just before /usr/sbin/gdm $arg &
> Maybe that should also go into the next OI.

I am not sure anyone would notice, unless you file a bug and RTI the
fix for it ;)

I can confirm that it works for me, and some subdirs are indeed created
under this directory during GDM startup.

>  > Can it influence the console problems and/or X user switching?
> I don't think so, but at least one .xerrors message disappears...

So, in short, the problems I posted about still remain in oi151_a7.
More ideas welcome :)
//Jim