[OpenIndiana-discuss] SIGKILL happens too soon upon logout of GNOME session

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Oct 28 15:24:37 UTC 2012

2012-10-28 14:00, Kees Nuyt wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:17:58 +0400, you wrote:
>
>> Is there any standard reliable way to "ps-grep" for local clients of
>> a particular X server (DISPLAY)? The terminal field in "ps" output is
>> undefined for most of X-clients.
>>

> Perhaps:
> 	xlsclients -display ${thedisplay}
> ?

Hmmm, thanks. So far I did not know about this - X is a new universe
for me. I found that I can use the returned window IDs in xkill, but
that only yanks X connection from an application.

At least, my test script which trapped all known signals (from
"kill -l") died along with its terminal and did not log catching
any signal except SIGHUP and SIGTSTP when its parent (terminal)
died. The xkill of one window id killed all of the gnome terminals
owned by the same user, however.

Neither xlsclients nor xwininfo returned me a local PID (which sort
of makes sense, given the networked nature of X), so I can't directly
take advantage of this output to send signals. At least, this does
give me a starting point for grepping, if I take this route - so thanks!

//Jim