[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI and console switching

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Oct 29 22:04:51 UTC 2012

I had a (fruitless) hunch - on most of those SXCE systems I've
had remote consoles (serial or IPMI) and used vtdaemon to also
have a text login on physical screen/keyboard.

I've tried to boot the laptop with console=(text|graphics|ttya)
and with no console setting, but these did not help.

In ttya mode (laptop has no serial ports) I got text output
from SMF scripts echoed to /dev/console. In graphics mode I
got a blank text-mode screen for a couple of minutes until
I got the GDM login. Text mode and no console setting were
identical for me (perhaps due to bootenv.rc, which I'll now
untweak).

I begin to wonder if virtual terminals somehow depend on some
graphics capabilities of the video card, and the AMD E2 CPU/GPU
built-in Radeon is not good enough (it is only a VESA VGA for X).
This sounds crazy even to me, but might explain the symptoms ;)

Puzzled...
//Jim