[OpenIndiana-discuss] tip & ttydefs questions

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 17:10:23 UTC 2012

I'm playing w/ a microcontroller (MSP430G2553) which communicates via RS-232 using a Keyspan USB<->RS-232 adapter and tip.

I have two native forths that run on the MCU but w/ different handling of NL & CR in the output.

On one I'm missing the CR, so the output from line to line moves across and down the terminal window.

I *expect* "opost onlcr" in /etc/ttydefs to fix this, but it seems not to have any effect. When does /etc/ttydefs get read? Is what the remote computer sends back input or output relative to a terminal window?  Should this be set via stty?  I've tried that also w/o detectable effect.

The more I read, the more confused I get.  So far as I can tell, I can't configure the port as only an outbound connection, but must run login on it.  Harmless, but annoying.  But there are so many programs involved nothing is clear.

Suggestions?  I'm about to build kermit, which will probably solve things.

I realize this has always been a can of worms.  My canonical test of new sys admins was to mention modems.  If they flinched I knew they were experienced.  But it annoys me that I can't make tip do what I want.

Have Fun!
Reg