[OpenIndiana-discuss] tip & ttydefs questions

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 4 01:44:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 10:10:23AM -0700, Reginald Beardsley wrote:

>  I'm playing w/ a microcontroller (MSP430G2553) which communicates
> via RS-232 using a Keyspan USB<->RS-232 adapter and tip.

So, you are running `tip' on the OI computer, using it to connect to
the microcontroller over the serial line.  `tip' uses the /etc/remote
file to configure the connection.  See `man remote' for information.
Are you connecting through /dev/cua/a or /dev/cua/b?  Those are the
first two serial ports for calling out to another system.  For logging
in, they are named /dev/term/a and /dev/term/b .

>  I have two native forths that run on the MCU but w/ different
> handling of NL & CR in the output.

>  On one I'm missing the CR, so the output from line to line moves
> across and down the terminal window.

`tip' is supposed to behave like an ASCII terminal, sending a CR when
you type the [Enter] key.  The remote system is supposed to echo the
line as you type it, and then add a LF.  Something's wrong here.

>  I *expect* "opost onlcr" in /etc/ttydefs to fix this, but it seems
> not to have any effect. When does /etc/ttydefs get read? Is what the
> remote computer sends back input or output relative to a terminal
> window?  Should this be set via stty?  I've tried that also w/o
> detectable effect.

No, that file is only read by `ttymon', the daemon that handles
serial port logins.  I assume that the microcontroller is not logging
in to the OI computer.

>  The more I read, the more confused I get.  So far as I can tell, I
> can't configure the port as only an outbound connection, but must
> run login on it.  Harmless, but annoying.  But there are so many
> programs involved nothing is clear.

No, that's not necessary.  `man tip' should have useful information.