[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos as a NAS

magnus at yonderway.com magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Sep 4 16:37:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 17:06:06 +0100, "James Relph" <james at themacplace.co.uk>
wrote:

> This to some extent goes back to something I've been talking about
> recently.  The current version of netatalk (v3) is actually excellent on
> OI.  NetAFP added cross-protocol file locking with the native CIFS client
> and netatalk will use ZFS xattrs to store Mac xattrs.    The actual
> problem has turned out to be the Windows integration, because it's
either:

AD issues are going to require someone tenacious, motivated, and a bit
masochistic as it's historically been a bit of a moving target.

Low hanging fruit is to ignore the AD integration for now, make this a good
NAS for home users without the AD integration issues resolved. Example of a
common use case: iTunes media library. 2+ TB of music, movies, books,
podcasts, etc. becomes more than a bit unwieldy to handle natively on a
Mac, but Illumos is well suited to handle this workload. No AD integration
is necessary for this use case. Local system auth is "good enough".