[OpenIndiana-discuss] stty source code

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 23:37:04 UTC 2012

Having established that the stty behavior is a  red herring produced by /bin/tcsh here is a precis of the situation (pwd is /etc):

oi%rhb {180} /app/bin/rcsdiff remote ttydefs
RCS file: RCS/remote,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -r1.1 remote
5a6
> u0::dv=/dev/cua/0:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
RCS file: RCS/ttydefs,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -r1.1 ttydefs
63a64
> msp430:9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb ixon opost olcuc onlcr:9600 hupcl sane::msp430
oi%rhb {181} pmadm -l
PMTAG          PMTYPE         SVCTAG         FLGS ID       <PMSPECIFIC>
zsmon          ttymon         tty0           u    root     /dev/term/0 b - /usr/bin/login - msp430 ldterm,ttcompat login:  - - -  -S n #MSP430
oi%rhb {182} /bin/sh
rhb at openindiana:/etc$ tip u0

connected
  ok.
       ok.
            ok.
               ~
[EOT]
rhb at openindiana:/etc$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud;
rows = 77; columns = 107; ypixels = 0; xpixels = 0;
csdata ?
eucw 1:0:0:0, scrw 1:0:0:0
intr = ^c; quit = ^\; erase = ^h; kill = ^u;
start = ^q; stop = ^s; susp = ^z; dsusp = ^y;
rprnt = ^r; flush = ^o; werase = ^?; lnext = ^v;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb hupcl cread -clocal -loblk -crtscts -crtsxoff -parext
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh
-tostop echoctl -echoprt echoke -defecho -flusho -pendin iexten
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel
rhb at openindiana:/etc$ stty olcuc
RHB at OPENINDIANA:/ETC$ TIP U0
connected
  ok.
       ok.
            ok.
               ~
[EOT]
RHB at OPENINDIANA:/ETC$
Note that I have "olcuc onlcr" set in ttydefs, but it's not being done.  With italso set in the terminal window it doesn't get applied to the remote host traffic. (The "connect" is from the USB adapter)

Communication w/ the remote host is 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, one stop bit.  The remote host is returning just NL in its output.

Note: The entries in /etc/remote and /etc/ttydefs are a single line each in case they appear differently on receipt.

Suggestions?  Does anyone see anything wrong w/ the ttydefs line?  This is precisely what I expect ttydefs & ttymon to fix.  At this point, the only explanation I can think of is that only inbound traffic passed to /bin/login gets the effect of the arguments in ttydefs and that they are not applied to traffic using tip.  If that's the case, it's not broken, it's just brain dead.

Reg