[OpenIndiana-discuss] stty source code

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 6 16:03:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 11:45:45AM -0400, James Carlson wrote:

> By far, I believe the best way to solve the problems you're having here
> are to either (a) use something with more sophisticated terminal
> emulation processing than just 'tip', which inherently assumes that
> you've configured the remote terminal configuration to be compatible
> with the local terminal emulator (which you have not done), or (b)
> reconfigure xterm and/or the remote system such that they have
> compatible terminal emulation modes.

Keep in mind that the function of `tip' is to emulate an ASCII
terminal.  To do that, it places the terminal in raw mode, disabling
most of the tty settings.  When you type a line of text followed by
[Enter], it sends the text followed by CR (0x0d).  The device at the
other end of the serial line should echo each of those characters,
including the CR.  If that device is another Unix system, its tty will
be in cooked mode.  That means that it will send a LF (0x0a) after the
CR.  The cursor on your terminal should first return to the left, and
then drop down one line.  A firmware device should be doing the same
thing.