[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos as a NAS

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 02:42:24 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:37 AM, James Relph <james at themacplace.co.uk> wrote:

>> really? Can you elaborate? The thing is, I'm in the process of
>> compiling and updated winbind from latest Samba sources (and
>> documenting that process) in order to test with that if the problems
>> with supplementary groups go away and if it works with Solaris CIFS.

That's not going to be easy.

> After I'd installed winbind and had that up and running, doing a svcadm start smb just put it straight into maintenance mode.  I didn't do much investigation beyond that as it wasn't critical at the time, but I assumed there was some kind of conflict in terms of ports.

The native idmap service is called internally from both the zfs +
smbsrv kernel modules, via the kidmap_* interface.

Have you considered adding the winbind-style range mapping you want?
The idmap service already supports a couple different mapping methods.
One more method wouldn't hurt.

I'd also be curious what are the exact circumstances where you saw
idmap change its mapping for some SID to a different ephemeral ID.
Note that TTL expiration does not cause a mapping to be destroyed.  It
only causes it to be re-checked via name lookup rules, etc.
That re-check should not come up with a different ID unless something
in the configuration changed, i.e. a new explicit mapping where one
did not exist before.   If you saw something else happen, that might
be a bug.

--
Gordon Ross <gwr at nexenta.com>
Nexenta Systems, Inc.  www.nexenta.com