[OpenIndiana-discuss] Interest in OpenIndiana VPS host?

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Sat Sep 8 01:50:21 UTC 2012

On Sep 7, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Adam Del Vecchio wrote:

> Would there be any interest in an Xen VPS host that provided OpenIndiana as an option for installation on the server?

Hello Adam. This is a very interesting question that I was just discussing with someone else recently.

If I were to lease a virtualized Illumos environment from anyone, I'd probably prefer to lease a zone than something fully virtualized in Xen (for performance reasons). The trouble is, the market is a race to the bottom (price wise) so it's hard to compete when there are so many providers offering Linux for $10 or less per month with plenty of resources for a small server.