[OpenIndiana-discuss] adding aok=1 and set zfs_recover=1 to live CD's /etc/system as well?

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Tue Sep 11 17:46:31 UTC 2012

On 09/10/2012 09:14 AM, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
> I recommend losing some large unused app blobs that nobody needs on a
> Live CD. I don't know what you've got in there, but I recommend you
> throw out stuff like image editing software and the like. A Live CD is
> primarily for installation and rescue, not for regular work.

While we're at it, can we also add these two lines to the live CD's
/etc/system if they're not detrimental to installing OI? It's kind of
annoying to do it from grub when it's needed and I've found them to be
very useful when recovering, but I added them to the installed OS, and
now I'm in a situation where I want to recover from a messed up rpool. (

set zfs:zfs_recover=1
set aok=1

(Obviously don't want those to be added by default to the installed OI,
but rather on the live CD/USB images.)

Not to get too far off topic, but just last week I have my machine that
reboots in a loop before it gets even to single user mode, and even with
these lines, doing zfs import -F -f -R oldrpoolid newpoolname causes OI
to panic and reboot after about 5-6 minutes... last thing I did on it
was to install squid, but I don't believe that caused it.
format/analyze/read shows no bad blocks, booting off the other drive in
the mirror shows the same issue.

So I expect there's some issues where it can't even read the
kernel/drivers fully before it his the wall, so I'm messing around with
zdb trying to get it to rollback whatever got messed up, but the last
thing it said was that rpool was already imported. (I used the zpool ID,
not "rpool" as a parameter to zdb, but since a live CD wouldn't have an
rpool already mounted, it wouldn't cause this error. There's probably
some way to force the issue... Of the top of my head, I did zdb -e -bbb
{zpoolid} )