[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems with netcat zfs receive

real-men-dont-click at gmx.net real-men-dont-click at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 06:29:43 UTC 2012

-----Original message-----
To:	openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org;
From:	Flo <florian at acw.at>
Sent:	Thu 13-09-2012 10:56
Subject:	Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems with netcat zfs receive
> Hello,
>
> thank you very much! With the "d" flag, the nc commands works very well!
>
> Regards
> Florian

Hi Florian,

I played with zfs send/reveive some time ago. One important thing I learned was that netcat is not the first choice to use.
There is a tool called mbuffer out there. mbuffer works similar to netcat but allows a specific buffer size and block size.
>From various resources I found out that the best buffer and block sizes for zfs send/receive seem to be 1GB for the buffer with a block size of 131073.
Replacing netcat by mubuffer dramatically increases the throughput.

The resulting commands are like:

ssh -f $REMOTESRV "/opt/csw/bin/mbuffer -q -I $PORT -m 1G -s 131072 | zfs receive -vFd $REMOTEPOOL"

zfs send $CURRENTLOCAL | /opt/csw/bin/mbuffer -q -O $REMOTESRV:$PORT -m 1G -s 131072 > /dev/null

cu

Carsten