[OpenIndiana-discuss] Create zone from older snapshot (not rollback)

Ewald Ertl ewald.ertl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:55:59 UTC 2012

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Mark Creamer <whitetr6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to use an existing snapshot of a zone from a few weeks ago, and use
> it to create a new zone so I can boot it and get to the file system. I

Do you only need access to the filesystem?

If that's the case, you can set a ZFS property to show the
snapshot-Directories
and navigate to the files in the snapshot:

ewer at solewer:~$ zfs get snapdir rpool/export/home/ewer
NAME                    PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
rpool/export/home/ewer  snapdir   hidden  local

ewer at solewer:~$ pfexec zfs set snapdir=visible rpool/export/home/ewer
ewer at solewer:~$ ls /export/home/ewer/.zfs/s
shares/   snapshot/
ewer at solewer:~$ ls /export/home/ewer/.zfs/snapshot/
zfs-auto-snap_daily-2012-09-10-14h04
zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-09-13-11h08
zfs-auto-snap_daily-2012-09-12-08h08
zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-09-13-12h08
zfs-auto-snap_daily-2012-09-13-08h08
zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-09-13-13h08
ewer at solewer:~$ zfs get snapdir rpool/export/home/ewer
NAME                    PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
rpool/export/home/ewer  snapdir   visible  local

As it seems currently at my system, that you can also access the snapshots,
even
when the property is not set -> It seems, as if it controls only the
visiblity.
The <TAB>-completion of bash doesn't work, but I can still change to .zfs/.

HTH
Ewald