[OpenIndiana-discuss] HFS+ (Apple file system) read/write support on Illumos -- interest levels?

Frank Lahm franklahm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 10:55:01 UTC 2012

2012/9/15 Dave Pooser <dave-oi at pooserville.com>:
> At $DAYJOB we have a need to get files from Mac-formatted (HFS+) volumes
> from video record appliances onto ZFS-based storage towers (because when
> you're talking about the only video recordings of a major corporate
> meeting, "probably OK" filesystems aren't enough). Right now we do it via
> a Mac -- hook drive to Mac, mount ZFS filesystem via CIFS, and copy-- but
> that's a bit of a pain in the rear; it would be a lot easier to be able to
> hook drives directly to an OI tower and copy the files that way. In an
> ideal world we'd also be able to write to HFS+ drives, but I understand
> that's trickier. FUSE is not really an option because we need performance
> -- when you're copying 450GB of video files so you can put the tower on a
> truck and get yourself to the airport that's kind of a big deal.
> Similarly, although Linux has that level of HFS+ support I don't trust
> either ZFS on Linux or BTRFS nearly as much as I trust ZFS.

Well, I wouldn't trust a complete new HFS+ implementation designed and
implemented from scratch. It'll have bugs, it will require ongoing
maintenace, so you'll have to add the cost for that too.
If I were you I'd reconsider using CIFS or alternatively Netatalk/AFP
which tends to perfom a lot better then CIFS with Macs. Disclaimer: I
am biased, as I'm a Netatalk dev. ;)

-f