[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using a USB 20 device

Nathan Kunkee nkunkee42 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:45:00 UTC 2012

On 09/15/12 01:59 PM, Bob Palank wrote:
> Are there specific directions as to how to read/write data on a USB 2.0 jump drive?
> XP sees it and VBox also sees it but OI doesn't.
> If I need to mount it,  are there specific directions?
> I've looked at general Linux directions and I fail.
> Bob

If the desktop isn't picking up on it automatically, the cfgadm command
is where I would start troubleshooting. Run as root, it lists all of the
devices, ports, and occupants that the kernel is aware of.

nathan at mossflower:~$ pfexec cfgadm -la
Ap_Id                          Type         Receptacle   Occupant
Condition
usb2/1                         usb-hub      connected    configured   ok
usb2/1.1                       usb-device   connected    configured   ok
usb2/1.2                       usb-mouse    connected    configured   ok
usb2/1.3                       unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb2/1.4                       unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb2/2                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb3/1                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb3/2                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb4/1                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb4/2                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb5/1                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb5/2                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/1                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/2                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/3                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/4                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/5                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/6                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok
usb6/7                         usb-storage  connected    configured   ok
usb6/8                         unknown      empty        unconfigured ok

At one time, I thought that listing included the block device too
(c4t0d0p0), and someone more knowledgeable may be able to better say,
but rmformat will list that:

nathan at mossflower:~$ rmformat
Looking for devices...
      1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0p0
         Physical Node: /pci at 0,0/pci-ide at 1f,1/ide at 0/sd at 0,0
         Connected Device: HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244 B103
         Device Type: CD Reader
	Bus: IDE
	Size: <Unknown>
	Label: <Unknown>
	Access permissions: <Unknown>
      2. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0p0
         Physical Node: /pci at 0,0/pci1028,1ad at 1d,7/storage at 7/disk at 0,0
         Connected Device: Sony     Storage Media    0100
         Device Type: Removable
	Bus: USB
	Size: 1.9 GB
	Label: <Unknown>
	Access permissions: Medium is not write protected.

So, in the most manual case, you could confirm that the occupant is
configured with cfgadm and then mount the filesystem directly as guided
by rmformat. All of that helps set you up for Roel and Dmitry ask (VM?
how setup? how is it partitioned? do you have filesystem drivers?)

Hope that helps,
Nathan