[OpenIndiana-discuss] Swap during install

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 13:02:08 UTC 2012

I'll have to plead almost complete ignorance.  However, once upon a time I was a serious disk and filesystem wonk, so I draw similar inferences about how ZFS behaves just from the high level description.  while one could special case the handling of swap, it would be a lot of work and complexity for questionable benefit.

A failed swap area will crash the system if it is not implemented on top of some sort of RAID facility.  This and the large amount of DRAM in many systems make me doubt that there's anything in the ZFS handling of swap to support contiguous allocation other than what might happen by accident.

In the case of swapping, performance doesn't really matter and I suspect that paging is pretty unusual these days. In many respects paging is a bit of an anachronism.  Funny how Linux came about because of the desire to add virtual memory to Minix.

Have Fun!
Reg