[OpenIndiana-discuss] Last change in zfs filesystem

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Sep 25 13:23:14 UTC 2012

2012-09-25 16:25, Richard Elling wrote:
> zdb is not intended to be used for tasks other than debugging or development.
> It is not a good idea to try and use it as a production tool.
> ...Correct, it is a bad idea to propose zdb's use in this manner.

I agree, hence my note in the end of the letter.

>> In particular, above we can see that the "birth TXG numbers" of the
>> current block instance are 1472850 for logical assignment and physical
>> write to disk.
>
> This doesn't really answer the OP's question.

Regarding determination of backup timestamp - possibly not
(there may be more weird ways of determining TXG-Timestamp
relation, like searching for timestamps on snapshots or in
uberblocks). But as far as backups go, one can record the
TXG number in the backup name or some comment, and use the
string value directly (equality or numerical comparison).

> KISS, use the tools that have been traditionally used to solve this
> problem: directory walkers like find and rsync

Reportedly slow for the OP.

 > or zfs diff.

Suggested before my post ;)

Come on, the guy was asking for options, I gave one more;
be it optimal/supported or not. With enough interest, this
might lead to a usecase for a worthy RFE to just expose
the last modification time and/or TXG number for a dataset
as a read-only attribute, which can be queried with the
supported "zfs get attrname" mechanism instead of ZDB.
Why not?

//Jim Klimov