[OpenIndiana-discuss] killing graphical login

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Sep 26 10:18:06 UTC 2012

2012-09-25 23:16, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 15:14:07 -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
>> Hello listmates,
>>
>> If I intend to use my OI machine as a server and would like to kill the
>> graphical console on it to only have a text one instead - how do I do
>> that?
>
> It would be easier to just use the text based installer from the start,
> but try using:
>
> # svcadm disable -s gdm

Then also revise the system for some other "suspicious"
services like gnome helpers, font caches & xfs and such,
and svcadm disable them too.

The text-based installer might be too underfeatured an
image (in terms of packages provided out of the box),
if any of your apps formally require X11 libs, like
running an OOO server for document processing, or an
occasional graphical installer is needed.

On a side note, on my laptop I track the boot process in
text mode (in GRUB - console=text), and start the gdm
login service from a trivial /etc/rc3.d script with
"svcadm enable -t gdm" (temp-enabling, not remembered
after reboot; service is marked as disabled by default).
This way I have the text console by default and X11 GUI
for actual work on the laptop when all initialization
has completed.

For text consoles you can also like the virtual terminals:

# svcs -a | grep vt
online         Aug_27   svc:/system/vtdaemon:default
online         Aug_27   svc:/system/console-login:vt5
online         Aug_27   svc:/system/console-login:vt6
online         Aug_27   svc:/system/console-login:vt2
online         Aug_27   svc:/system/console-login:vt4
online         Aug_27   svc:/system/console-login:vt3

HTH,
//Jim Klimov