[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool export import alternate cachefile

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 27 02:07:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 04:39:07PM +0200, Randy S wrote:

> I was under the impression that by using the cachefile (as
> explained on different sites) the import should be faster. That's
> why I kept trying with a copy of the original cachefile.

Yes, the import will be faster with a cache file.  That's because the
import doesn't have search for devices.  The /etc/zfs/zpool.cache is
used automatically at boot to import all pools that are specified in
the file.  Any other cache file needs an explicit import command,
presumably after the boot.  Don't copy the cache files, though.
Create the second one during an import.  An export will delete it.
An import without the `-o cachefile=' option will put it in the
primary cache.  Unless there's some reason that you don't want a
pool imported at boot time, just leave it in the primary cache; it
will get imported at boot time without searching for devices.