[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 12:54:06 UTC 2012

>From my notes configuring a 3 TB Hitachi in June 2011 on Sol 10 u8.

"After considerable fubar, the key to formatting the 3 TB disk was to use, 'format -e', supply LBA pseudo geometry & create an EFI label.  NB Must run fdisk from inside format."

All I remember is I did it once.  Now I wish I'd been more verbose in my notes.

The Hitachi is pulled for RMA. As I recall the BIOS reported it as 887 GB. ZFS saw the entire drive, though it's really only 2.79 TB.  But it worked just fine until it starting failing.

Hope this helps.

Reg