[OpenIndiana-discuss] Preliminary Download link: Illumos based MartUX_OpenIndiana_Edition for SPARC LiveDVD (without installer)

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Fri Sep 28 14:01:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM, ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wrote up a basic wiki page here to make things a bit easier to find:
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/MartUX_OpenIndiana+oi_151a+SPARC+LiveDVD
>
> ~ Ken Mays

Man, Ken!
Thanks a lot!
That's well written, excellent.
Just as your regular distro summary, btw.

You wrote it quite exact.
Only thing I am able to add would be, that the M64 also supports the
old PGX pci card with 13W3 connector, plus the PGX onboard (Ultra5/10)
and PGX24 onboard (Ultra 5/10).
And that the PGX 64 existed both as onboard chip (SunBlade100/150
{banner with Sun-logo}), but also as dedicated PCI option {PGX64
logo}.
Of course those vintage ati cards (we need to look up exact model)
also work under openXsun (but then not at console level, as the x86
versions of these card came without fcodes, and Sun's OBP is does not
emulate relevant parts of the x86 BIOS, unlike SmartFirmware for
Motorola PowerPC/Genesi).
But those questions were probably only of any interest, when a Sun
frame buffer still had the tenfold price of a comparable x86 vga card.
All that just on a side note, if somebody still cares.
I think your your can stay like that.

TNX

-
rgds