[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

Rainer Heilke rheilke at dragonhearth.com
Fri Sep 28 19:02:09 UTC 2012

Is there a way to change the bytes per sector? When I Googled about my
problem, I saw talk about 512 bps. When I look, I get:
format> ver

Volume name = <        >
ascii name  = <ST3000DM-001-9YN166-    -746.52GB>
bytes/sector    =  512
sectors = 1565565871
accessible sectors = 1565565838
Part      Tag    Flag     First Sector          Size Last Sector
   0        usr    wm               256       746.51GB 1565549454
   1 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   2 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   3 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   4 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   5 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   6 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   7 unassigned    wm                 0 0                0
   8   reserved    wm        1565549455         8.00MB 1565565838

format>

If I changed this to 2KB/sector, it would give me 2986.04GB. How would I
even do this?

Rainer
On 9/28/2012 11:38 AM, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> I wish you'd been more verbose too. ;-) Maybe it will let me "modify"
> the table...
>
> Rainer
> On 9/28/2012 5:54 AM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
>>  From my notes configuring a 3 TB Hitachi in June 2011 on Sol 10 u8.
>>
>> "After considerable fubar, the key to formatting the 3 TB disk was to
>> use, 'format -e', supply LBA pseudo geometry & create an EFI label.
>> NB Must run fdisk from inside format."
>>
>> All I remember is I did it once.  Now I wish I'd been more verbose in
>> my notes.
>>
>> The Hitachi is pulled for RMA. As I recall the BIOS reported it as
>> 887 GB. ZFS saw the entire drive, though it's really only 2.79 TB.
>> But it worked just fine until it starting failing.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Reg

Mind the Gap
Web: http://www.dragonhearth.com