[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

George Wilson george.wilson at delphix.com
Fri Sep 28 19:27:45 UTC 2012

That's very odd. If you specified the whole disk (c4t0d0) when you do
the 'zpool create' then zfs should have relabeled the disk as an EFI
label. From your post it looks like it's still using a Solaris VTOC label:

  Total disk size is 48725 cylinders
              Cylinder size is 32130 (512 byte) blocks

                                                Cylinders
       Partition   Status    Type          Start   End Length    %
       =========   ======    ============  =====   === ====== ===
           1       Active    Solaris           1  48724 48724    100

Instead you should see something like this:

                                                Cylinders
       Partition   Status    Type          Start   End Length    %
           1                 EFI               0  50128 50129    100

(obviously with different values)

Does the zpool command fail when you specify the whole disk (i.e.
c4t0d0)? Or does it just create this whacky partition table? If it's the
latter then that seems like a bug for sure.

- George