[OpenIndiana-discuss] 1rst mirror in Europe: Illumos based MartUX_OpenIndiana_Edition for SPARC LiveDVD (without installer)

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 29 13:53:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 02:29:21AM +0200, Martin Bochnig wrote:

> 3rd topic: IPS is a pain to maintain!!!
> Many of you know IPS only from a user's point of view.
> (and that's slow enough ...)
> But did you ever spend weeks or months on bootstrapping a Repo?
> Pkgdepend runs for days and burns the cpu.
> But even that only if you have reached a remote point, where it runs
> at all without quitting after the first manifest, due to unresolved
> dependencies.
> Building such a repo is a _huge_ effort.
> But for what?
> Who would still be happy with (an extended_ SVR4 pkgadd, that can also
> be installed over the network with automatic deps resolution, as
> Blastwave has proven already starting 10 years ago)?
> Not only has Moinak Ghosh described SVR4 based alternatives on his
> blog 3 years ago, but as far as I know Joerg Schilling has also really
> developed a solution for SchilliX, just this year.

In spite of these problems with IPS, I'd still recommend it for this
release.  Using IPS will maintain compatibility with the x86 releases
of OI.  It's important to use a common code base for the build system
as well as for the OS itself, as much as is possible.  The goal should
be to build x86 and SPARC releases of OI at the same time.  Perhaps
somebody can figure out how to make the build process run faster.
Filing some bug reports in this area would be a good start.

I have the SPARC versions of Solaris 11 Express and OI-134 installed
on separate boot disks of my V240 server.  Both of these use the IPS
system.