[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to configure OI for proper daylight savings adjustments.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Apr 1 14:17:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-01 13:07, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Jim,
> Excellent attitude..
> However:
> That is not how OI Live DVD install sets things up, and I'm a bit
> surprised about your implicit statemet that rtc -c will shift the PC
> realtime clock at DST shift times... Is that true? Does rtc actually
> shift the MB RT clock??
>
> That is SICK and WEIRD behaviour.

I believe it does (shift the clock) and is (bad, especially for
dual-boot systems each of which shifts the clock after DST switch
day), so for over a decade I set up systems (including many of
Windows servers I come by) to run in UTC and can't really well
comment about behavior of systems configured otherwise.

I think "rtc -c" does change the PC clock, and I think we've had
a Solaris customer with weird failures due to this, but I can't
now recall what the problem (inconvenient symptom) was. Fixing
the RTC setup did take care of that, though.

Just think of running a server available (interactively) for users
from almost a dozen of timezones that Russia spanned, and think
what other timezone than common UTC would make sense as a default
one for a low-level? ;)

//Jim