[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to configure OI for proper daylight savings adjustments.

Robin Axelsson gu99roax at student.chalmers.se
Thu Apr 4 12:21:46 UTC 2013

My suspicions have been that there are several applications that manages
the DST, hence the dual hour shifting, but I have been unsure as to
which applications are involved with this in OI. It's difficult to test
these things as they only occur twice a year.

My system is dual/multiboot and it also runs VMs through VirtualBox on
the OpenIndiana partition. I think my "ghost" is either the dual boot,
(i.e. the OS on the other partition decides to shift the time for DST as
well), or the VMs.

It seems that changing system time from within VMs also affect the
system time of the host. I'm not entirely sure whether this is the case
but I strongly suspect so and I will try it out when I get around to it.
Strangely enough, DST management issues with guests are not addressed in
the VirtualBox documentation. I'm not sure about KVM and Xen/xVM...

The route to go is to disable automatic DST adjustments on all systems
but one. Not entirely sure how this is done in OI. It would be desirable
to let the time zone be proper (and not set an arbitrary time-zone where
DST does not apply just to disable DST).

- Robin.