[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM or VirtualBox on Dell T420

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Apr 8 17:30:06 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-08 18:49, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> booted -k -v ... all devices load fine, all 12 processors counted
> correctly, device kvm0 connected fine, console login prompt, type "root"
> and before I get to finish typing the password the keyboard is dead and the
> computer is hung ...

Hmmm... this rings a bell from a recent "conversation" in the
wiki comments to the virtualbox article. Do you by any chance
have both KVM and VirtualBox files installed on this machine?

If so, the kernel-side drivers (which do "capture" the hardware
acceleration features) can come into conflict, though imho the
later one in the play should just fail to initialize. This all
happens way before you load VM's and even if you don't have any.

It may be problematic to disable the drivers, uninstalling one
of the package sets (i.e. KVM) might work better for you.

//Jim