[OpenIndiana-discuss] Write protected USB stick

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 19:34:24 UTC 2013

Brogya'nyi Jo'zsef wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use a USB stick on my Openindiana and there was a power failure. After
> this my USB stick not work properly.
> When I tried to format it I received an error message. The fdisk and
> rmformat tell me the stick is write protected.
> How to change this status on my stick?
> I don't believe it. It hasn't got any switch on it. So do you know any
> useful trick? I tried on win7,Linux, and OI.
> The "dd" command is not working on linux.
> The stick is Kingston DT111. Now I'm waiting for the support answer but
> it takes a long time. Thanks in advance.

You didn't give the results of reading and writing on other OS's, but
it sounds like it might be a protective measure by the USB stick in the
event of unrepairable damage, giving only the possibility to get the
data off it. Kingston's FAQ hints at this behavior.
You would probably do better asking this on a hardware forum - it's
unlikely to be anything related to OpenIndiana.