[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hard drives shutdown

Julien Ramseier j.ramseier at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 14:44:44 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I was playing with OI 151a7, and I noticed a strange noise
coming from my hard drive each time the system was shut down.

After some digging, it seems that the ATA_IMMEDIATE_STANDBY
command isn't sent before cutting off the power to the drives.

This results in the increase of the "Power-off Retract Count" SMART attribute
of the hard drives, which are forced to do an emergency heads parking.

This problem does not occur on Linux systems.

Is it normal?

--
Julien