[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommendations for fast storage

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Sun Apr 14 18:01:55 UTC 2013

I would think about the following

- yes, i would build that from SSD
- build the pool from multiple 10 disk Raid-Z2 vdevs,

- use as much RAM as possible to serve most of reads from RAM
example a dual socket 2011 system with 256 GB RAM

- if you need sync writes/ disabled LU write back cache, use dedicated
DRAM based log-devices (ZEUSRAM)
For multiple 10 Gbe you may need several of them or disable sync/enable
LU cache when possible,
I would calculate one ZEUSRAM per 10 GBe adapter (about 2000$ each),
analyze ZIL usage first.

- if possible, avoid expander with Sata disks

- do not fill a pool above 50% if you need max performance
read about fillrate vs throughput:
http://blog.delphix.com/uday/2013/02/19/78/

- tune ip (Jumboframes, MPIO, Trunking) and iSCSI blocksize

- think about using OmniOS (a little more up to date than OI)

The rest is some math,you need:

a case (like a 50 x 3,5" bay Chenbro or a up to 72 bay SuperMicro)
with a 7 x pci-e mainboard, CPU, RAM, 3 x SAS2 HBA controller,
4 x dual 10 Gbe adapters:

ex: Chenbro 50 x 3,5" case without expander:
4 x dual 10 Gbe + 3 x LSI 16 channel HBA

or Supermicro cases with expander, up to 72 x 2,5" bays
with up to 3 x 8-16 channel HBA

         say 10000 $

The rest is for SSD and ZIL
If you like to use 10 TB and want to have 20TB capacity for performance
reasons:
with your 800GB Intel, you have about 6,5 TB usable for 10 disks (Z2)
You need 30 of them ex 2000$ per SSD: 60000$ (without ZIL and spare),

gives a total o 70000$ without ZIL and spare.

other Option:
use 500-600 GB SSD like Intel 320 or 520.
You need more of them but they are cheaper regarding TB/$

allow 80% SSD usage, check ARC usage to eventually reduce amount if SSD
(RAM is cheaper than using only 50% of SSD capacity)

keep enough slots free to optionally add more SSD for better performance
or higher capacity
care about needed capacity for snaps
add 10% spare disks.