[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommendations for fast storage

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Mon Apr 15 00:54:55 UTC 2013

On Apr 14, 2013, at 8:15 AM, Wim van den Berge <wim at vandenberge.us> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have been running OpenIndiana (and its various predecessors) as storage
> servers in production for the last couple of years. Over that time the
> majority of our storage infrastructure has been moved to Open Indiana to the
> point where we currently serve (iSCSI, NFS and CIFS) about 1.2PB from 10+
> servers in three datacenters . All of these systems are pretty much the
> same, large pool of disks, SSD for root, ZIL and L2ARC, 64-128GB RAM,
> multiple 10Gb uplinks. All of these work like a charm.
>
> However the next system is  going to be a little different. It needs to be
> the absolute fastest iSCSI target we can create/afford. We'll need about
> 10-12TB of capacity and the working set will be 5-6TB and IO over time is
> 90% reads and 10% writes using 32K blocks but this is a data analysis
> scenario so all the writes are upfront. Contrary to previous installs, money
> is a secondary (but not unimportant) issue for this one. I'd like to stick
> with a SuperMicro platform and we've been thinking of trying the new Intel
> S3700 800GB SSD's which seem to run about $2K. Ideally I'd like to keep
> system cost below $60K.

Does "fast" mean "low-latency"? If so, the general rules are:
	+ mirror
	+ go direct, no expanders
	+ iSCSI tends to not use ZIL very much, but  you can verify on your workload.

There are a number of vendors who have been selling SSD-only ZFS systems
for a few years. You might ask around for experiences and specs.
 -- richard