[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommendations for fast storage (OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 33, Issue 20)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Apr 16 01:18:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013, Ong Yu-Phing wrote:
> Working set of ~50% is quite large; when you say data analysis I'd assume
> some sort of OLTP or real-time BI situation, but do you know the nature of
> your processing, i.e. is it latency dependent or bandwidth dependent?  Reason
> I ask, is because I think 10GB delivers better overall B/W, but 4GB
> infiniband delivers better latency.

It would be difficult to believe that 10Gbit Ethernet offers better
bandwidth than 56Gbit Infiniband (the current offering).  The swiching
model is quite similar.  The main reason why IB offers better latency
is a better HBA hardware interface and a specialized stack.  5X is 5X.

If 3xdisk raidz1 is too expensive, then put more SSDs in each raidz1.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn