[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommendations for fast storage

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 17:17:41 UTC 2013

I am not an expert of this subject , but with respect to my readings in
some e-mails in different mailing lists and from some relevant pages in
Wikipedia about SSD drives , the following points are mentioned about SSD
disadvantages ( even for "Enterprise" labeled drives ) :

SSD units are very vulnerable to power cuts during work up to complete
failure which they can not be used any more to complete loss of data .

MLC ( Multi-Level Cell ) SSD units have a short life time if they are
continuously written ( they are more suitable to write once ( in a limited
number of writes sense ) - read many )  .

SLC ( Single-Level Cell ) SSD units have much more long life span , but
they are expensive with respect to MLC SSD units .

SSD units may fail due to write wearing in an unexpected time , making them
very unreliable for mission critical works .

Due to the above points ( they may be wrong perhaps ) personally I would
select revolving plate SAS disks and up to now I did not buy any SSD for
these reasons .

The above points are a possible disadvantages set for consideration .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk