[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recommendations for fast storage

alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Tue Apr 16 22:06:30 UTC 2013

ZFS datablocks are also a power of two what means, that if you have
1,2,4,8,16,32,.. datadisks, every write is evenly spread over all disks.

If you add one disk ex from 8 to 9 datadisks, any one disk is not used on a read/write.
Does that means, 9 datadisks are slower than 8 disks?

No,  9 disks are faster, maybee not 1/9 faster but faster.
So think about more like a myth

Add Raid redundancy disks to that count, example with 8 datadisks,
add one disk for Z1 (9), 2 disks for Z2 (10) and 3 disks forZ3(11) for disks per vdev.