[OpenIndiana-discuss] building a new box soon- HDD concerns and recommendations for virtual serving

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Wed Apr 17 02:53:32 UTC 2013

Further to my original post, I have a new (desktop, I know ... but I am
on a tight budget) Intel MB with an i5-3750 CPU and 32 GB of desktop
RAM.  Booting the 151a7 live DVD shows that it thinks it's a 32 bit
system (huh?). It regognises almost all the devices when I run the
device manager, but doesn't see any HDD's.  they're just not there at
all.  At boot time it says they're too big for a 32 bit kernel.  Why is
it booting a 32 bit kernel anyway?  Maybe some BIOS thing I need to set?
  I booted the first (default) image that the live CD displays.

The MB is a DH77EB which is an H77 Express chipset.

As well as thinking it's 32 bit, it also doesn't see any drives at all.
I have a single new Seagate 2TB (4k blocks?) ST2000DM001 in it that the
live CD doesn't see at all.  I know there was a recent thread on
installing to these drives that seemed inconclusive as to how best to
install to them.  I want to have :

2 x 2TB HDDs for rpool (ZFS mirror)
4 x 2TB HDD's to get at least a 4TB mirror (or is RAID-Z a better option?)

Would I be better off with some 500GB HDD's for the rpool?  And while I
fiddle with this thing, is there any way to get the live CD installer to
work with these drives without poking around with some other OS to
partition the drive?

help!

Thank you

Carl