[OpenIndiana-discuss] building a new box soon- HDD concerns and recommendations for virtual serving

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Thu Apr 18 00:18:35 UTC 2013

On 17/04/2013 12:53 PM, Carl Brewer wrote:
> Further to my original post, I have a new (desktop, I know ... but I am
> on a tight budget) Intel MB with an i5-3750 CPU and 32 GB of desktop
> RAM.  Booting the 151a7 live DVD shows that it thinks it's a 32 bit
> system (huh?). It regognises almost all the devices when I run the
> device manager, but doesn't see any HDD's.  they're just not there at
> all.  At boot time it says they're too big for a 32 bit kernel.  Why is
> it booting a 32 bit kernel anyway?  Maybe some BIOS thing I need to set?
>   I booted the first (default) image that the live CD displays.

Further to this, as suggested, I interrupted the GRUB boot and swapped
$ISOMETHING for amd64 in both lines of GRUB and it started in 64 bit
mode, saw the drive and cheerfully installed:

root at hostie:~# uname -a
SunOS hostie 5.11 oi_151a7 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

Virtualbox runs a treat on this beastie :)

Thank you

Carl