[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool vdev membership misreported

Jim Klimov jim at cos.ru
Fri Apr 19 14:45:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-19 11:20, Justin Warwick wrote:
> I broke the mirror on the
> "media" pool (i can't remember whey I did that). Since that time I have
> been getting that message which seems to mean somehow the disk is halfway
> stuck in the mirror.
Agreeing with George's answer, I'd like to inquire: how did you
break the mirror? The state you describe seems like physical
removal of one disk (c3d1) and then detachment of an absent
component from the remaining "live" mirror, turning that into
a single-disk pool, and then physical addition of the old disk
back into the system. Due to name and/or guid conflict, this
disk does not get imported as a pool. Maybe due to having the
same GUID as a live pool, it is considered part of one -
mistakenly in fact.

BTW, interesting corner case for our recent discussion of the
possible enhancements to detection and import of rpool (i.e.
for removable media, or to switch HDDs between SATA and IDE
legacy modes easily).

Speaking of which, your cXdY disks on "pci-ide" bus seem to be
in IDE legacy mode. Is this intentional (or are they really IDE)?
You know this is sub-optimal for SATA, right?.. though use of
this mode may be dictated by other causes (compatibilities with
dual-booted OSes, missing SATA drivers in illumos, etc.)

Cheers,
//Jim