[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS exported dataset crashes the system

Alberto Picón Couselo alpicon1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 06:26:11 UTC 2013

Hi.

We have almost the same hardware as yours and we had the same issue. We have exported a ZFS pool to three Xen VMs Debian 6.0 mounted using NFSv3. When one of these boxes launches a highio PHP process to create a backup, it creates, copies and deletes a large amount of files. The box just crashed the same way as yours, during the deletion process, no ping, no log, no response at all. We had to do a cold restart unplugging system power cords...

We have changed to NFSv4 hoping to fix this issue. Can please comment your results regarding this issues?

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Best Regards,

>  I've asked the ZFS discussion list for help on this but now I have more
>  information and it looks like a bug in the drivers or something.
>
>  I have number of Dell PE R710 and PE 2950 servers running OpenSolaris, OI
>  151a and OI 151a.7. All these systems are used as storage servers, clean OS
>  install, no extra services running. The systems are NFS exporting a lot of
>  ZFS datasets that are mounted on about ten CentOS-5.9 systems.
>
>  The above setup has been working for 2+ years with no problem.
>
>  Recently we bought two Supermicro systems:
>   Supermicro X9DRH-iF
>   Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.0 GHz 6-Core
>   128GB RAM
>   LSI SAS9211-8i HBA
>   32x 3TB Hitachi HUS723030ALS640, SAS, 7.2K
>
>  I installed OI151.a.7 on them and started migrating data from the old Dell
>  servers (zfs send/receive).
>
>  Things have been working great for about two months until I migrated one
>  particular directory to one of the new Supermicro systems and after about
>  two days the system crashed. No network connectivity, black console, no
>  response to keyboard keys, no activity lights (no error lights either) on
>  the chassis. The only way out is to hit the reset button. Nothing in the
>  logs as far as I can tell. Log entries just stop when the system crashes.
>
>  In the following two months I did a lot of testing and a lot of trips to
>  the colo in the middle of the night and the observation is that regardless
>  of the OS everything works on the Dell servers. As soon as I move that
>  directory to any of the Supermicro servers with OI151.a.7 it will crash
>  them within 2 hours up to 5 days.
>
>  The Supermicro servers can be idle, exporting nothing, or can be exporting
>  15+ other directories with high IOPS and working for months with no
>  problems but as soon as I have them export that directory they'll crash in
>  5 days the most.
>
>  There is only one difference between that directory an all others exported
>  directories. One of the client systems that mounts it and writes to it is
>  an old Debian 5.0 system. No idea why that would crash a Supermicro system
>  but not a Dell system.
>
>  We worked directly with LSI developers and upgraded the firmware to some
>  unpublished, prerelease development version to no avail. We disabled all
>  power saving features and CPU C states in the BIOS and nothing changed.
>
>  Any idea?I had a similar kind of problem where a VirtualBox Freebsd 9.1 VM could hang
the server.
It had /usr/src and /usr/obj NFS mounted from the OI a7 box it was running on.
The are separate NFS shared datasets in on of my 3 pools.

When I ran a make buildworld in that VM it consistently locked up the OI host,
no console access,
no network access ( not even ping ).
As a test I switched to NFSv4 instead of NFSv3 and I have not seen a hang since.