[OpenIndiana-discuss] link property e1000 / igb

Randy S sim.ple at live.nl
Thu Apr 25 15:11:49 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:40:47 +0200
> From: jimklimov at cos.ru
> To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] link property e1000 / igb
>
> On 2013-04-25 13:59, Randy S wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > version OI5a7
> >
> > I'm trying to force a nic to work at 1000 mb.
> >   test the commands first, I usually  test it on a testsystem. I
> > found some docs from oracle stating that if you want to force a nic to
> > perform at a certain speed, you should disable advertising the speeds
> > that you don't want with the command: dladm set-linkprop -p adv adv_100fdx_cap=0 e1000g0
> > and
> > dladm set-linkprop -p adv_100hdx_cap=0 e1000g0
>
> What device is the link partner on other side of the cable?
> Does it support (or limit) negotiation of speeds?
>
> I am not sure why the "read-only" problem, but as long as negotiation
> is enabled on both sides, the devices should connect on best speeds
> available to them (and supported by cable, i.e. 1000Mbps needs all
> eight wires in UTP working properly and laid out in correct order).
>
> Note also that if one side has duplex-negotiation disabled, while
> another has it enabled, the active side won't see responses to its
> negotiation queries and should fall back to half-duplex. If you've
> forced full-duplex on the inactive side, there can be problems.
> I am not sure if speed negotiation works similarly, may depend...
> However, for 1000Mbps I haven't seen use or implementations of HDX,
> though discussed in the standard. Might be that the default is FDX
> in higher speeds.
>
> HTH,
> //Jim

Hi Jim,

As usual, you are willing to lend a helping hand. I thank you for that !

I looked at the output of "dladm show-linkprop igb0" and decided to just change the property which has the rw attribute. And yes, this works. So there seems to be a diff between what works in solaris and what works in OI in this regard.

So the properties that can be changed seem to be:
en_1000fdx_cap
en_100fdx_cap
en_100hdx_cap
and so forth.

I assume that these settings are persistent across reboots (well I'll just test it).

If I'm doing anything wrong I hope to be corrected in time.

To clarify why I'm testing this:
we have a machine in production with a nic (autonegotiation) that should be 1000Mb connected but is 100Mb connected. We already forced the switchport at 1000Mb at which point there is no connection with the OI machine. It's an onboard nic .  If I cannot force the Oi nic to go 1000Mb, I guess the nic is broken... The same switch port has been tested with another machine which does connect at 1000Mb, so the switch is ok.

Rgds,