[OpenIndiana-discuss] link property e1000 / igb

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Apr 25 15:39:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-25 17:11, Randy S wrote:
> To clarify why I'm testing this:
> we have a machine in production with a nic (autonegotiation) that should be 1000Mb connected but is 100Mb connected. We already forced the switchport at 1000Mb at which point there is no connection with the OI machine. It's an onboard nic .  If I cannot force the Oi nic to go 1000Mb, I guess the nic is broken... The same switch port has been tested with another machine which does connect at 1000Mb, so the switch is ok.

Did you test that other machine using the same UTP cables, or
did you try other patch-cables with the problematic machine?
Because I've seen cases when connections in UTP cable socket
don't work (i.e. are too depressed and don't come into contact
with opposing wires - and can be pulled up with a needle, or
are plain dirty and should be scrubbed, or wires got broken
in the cable somewhere), and in case of networking weirdness
cables are definitely part of the overall problem.

//Jim