[OpenIndiana-discuss] Auto snapshots

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Aug 4 16:06:24 UTC 2013

Jan Owoc <jsowoc at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Harry,
>
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I do remember there was a problem with auto snapshots in the early
>> builds available shortly after the break from opensolaris to
>> openindiana.  I think build 148 to 150 were the last builds I used.
>>
>> Has that issue been completely resolved... auto snapshots now work
>> with no problems?
>
> On OI 151pre1 there was the problem that if you used the text install
> (which didn't include autosnapshots) and installed the proper package,
> you needed to restart dbus (or do a reboot). Not sure if that's been
> fixed in a7.
>
> I've been using autosnapshots without problems after the above dbus
> restart was "fixed".

Sorry to restart this old thread but am having the very problem I
worried back in Feb .

I've make a fresh install of 151a7... Now I've gotten around to trying
to setup auto snapshosts and get the slider tool working, but I find
the gui tool simply does not work.

When I click it I get the passwd dialog... then a fairly lengthy wait
and finally an error message (and the slider tool, but greyed out)
come up with the message:

   SNAPSHOT Manager service error
   The snapshot manager service has encountered a problem
   and has been disabled until the problem is fixed.
   See svcs(1) man page for more info
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------
A quick look at svcs -l time-slider

svcs -l time-slider
fmri         svc:/application/time-slider:default
name         GNOME Desktop Snapshot Management Service
enabled      true
state        maintenance
next_state   none
state_time   August  4, 2013 02:54:55 AM EDT
logfile      /var/svc/log/application-time-slider:default.log
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
contract_id
dependency   require_all/none svc:/milestone/multi-user (online)
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

I'll post the log file content below, but first when I try to enable
the service

  svcadm -v enable time-sliderroot
  svc:/application/time-slider:default enabled.

It appears to have been started or at least there is now evidence of
error.

But then check

  root # svcs  time-slider
  STATE          STIME    FMRI
  maintenance     2:54:55 svc:/application/time-slider:default
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Any ideas about how to proceed to get to the bottom of this.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

And none of this appears to be getting reported in the log.

You'll notice the last lines are 2 days ago:

cat /var/svc/log/application-time-slider:default.log

[ Jul 28 19:51:52 Disabled. ]
[ Jul 28 19:51:52 Rereading configuration. ]
[ Jul 30 00:43:52 Disabled. ]
[ Aug  4 02:51:53 Enabled. ]
[ Aug  4 02:51:53 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start"). ]
crontab: can't open your crontab file.
[ Aug  4 02:52:54 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 403. ]
[ Aug  4 02:52:54 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
[ Aug  4 02:52:54 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start"). ]
[ Aug  4 02:53:54 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 404. ]
[ Aug  4 02:53:54 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
[ Aug  4 02:53:54 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start"). ]
[ Aug  4 02:54:55 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 405. ]
[ Aug  4 02:54:55 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]