[OpenIndiana-discuss] Time-slider no workee, how to debug

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Aug 6 16:50:40 UTC 2013

just my setup?

Details:
I get the log message on boot up that time-slider has failed.  First
started showing up in logs Aug 4, right after I monkeyed around with
the gui interface.  Where at first I thought it was failing to start
when I never saw anything after clicking on System/Admin/time-slider
and getting the passwd dialog... giving root pwd.  Then nothing.

But it was just taking a very long time to respond.

I finally got the time-slider dialog, enabled it, and aimed it.

But on a reboot later on, I started seeing the failure in boot
messages.
,----
| Aug 6 11:15:15 voi svc.startd[10]: [ID 748625 daemon.error]
| application/time-slider:default failed: transitioned to maintenance
| (see 'svcs -xv' for details)
|
| Aug 6 11:15:15 voi IMPACT: svc:/application/time-slider:default is
| unavailable.
|
| Aug 6 11:15:15 voi REC-ACTION: Run 'svcs -xv
| svc:/application/time-slider:default' to determine the generic reason
| why the service failed, the location of any logfiles, and a list of
| other services impacted.
`----

And then further attempts to access the gui link showed a failure
message:
,----
| Snapshot manager service error
| The snapshot manager service has encountered a problem
| and has been disabled unti8l the problem is fixed
| See the svcs man page for more info
`----

Following the suggestion and running the svcs -xv cmd:

,----
| svc:/application/time-slider:default (GNOME Desktop Snapshot Management Service)
|  State: maintenance since August  6, 2013 11:15:15 AM EDT
| Reason: Start method failed repeatedly, last died on Killed (9).
|    See: http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-KS
|    See: man -M /usr/share/man -s 1M zfs
|    See: /var/svc/log/application-time-slider:default.log
| Impact: 5 dependent services are not running:
|         svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:daily
|         svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:frequent
|         svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:hourly
|         svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:monthly
|         svc:/system/filesystem/zfs/auto-snapshot:weekly
`----

And checking the applications actual log:

The latest lines look like this:
,----
| [ Aug  6 11:14:15 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 118. ]
| [ Aug  6 11:14:15 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
| [ Aug  6 11:14:15 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start").
`----

But going back to Aug 4 I see a little more when it first was sidelined:
,----
| [ Jul 28 19:51:52 Disabled. ]
| [ Jul 28 19:51:52 Rereading configuration. ]
| [ Jul 30 00:43:52 Disabled. ]
| [ Aug  4 02:51:53 Enabled. ]
| [ Aug  4 02:51:53 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start"). ]
| crontab: can't open your crontab file.
`----

"Can't open crontab"... but if I su - to root I can open it just
fine.... What user is the service running as?

Also there is suggestion in that one message to go here:

http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-KS

But that wasn't much help... it just says to "determine why the
service if failing".  Then it goes on and says to run this:

 svcadm clear service_fmri

But even then it doesn't help at all.  And produces more non-helpful
bull corn in the log:

,----
| [ Aug  6 11:15:15 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 119. ]
| [ Aug  6 11:15:15 Method "start" failed due to signal KILL. ]
| [ Aug  6 12:36:58 Leaving maintenance because clear requested. ]
| [ Aug  6 12:36:58 Enabled. ]
| [ Aug  6 12:36:58 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/time-slider start").
`----

Nothing more about why this is happening.

Does anyone have suggestions of how I can get on top of this?